Sunday 6 March 2016

Handmade, Homebaked and Cornish

Knitting:

sock knitting
Hello, sock!
I'm excited that this week I managed to do a little sneaky knitting: on this sock, which I started in November. I'm so close now- about half way up the toe. But, it is only the first one, so there will be its partner to make too. 

I'm using Araucania 'Ranco' yarn which is lovely to knit with, in a beautiful turquoise colour (which doesn't show up too well here I'm afraid). I find the brighter colour with minimal variegation a lot easier to work with that some other sock yarns I've tried. Plus of course my trusty Knit Pro dpn's. The turquoise looks like it has sold out everywhere, but here is a link to some other colours, available at a discount on Black Sheep Wools.

Cornwall:

St Michael's Mount, Marazion, Cornwall
St Michael's Mount
The highlight of my Cornish week was probably this trip to Mount's Bay. There is such a draw to the beautiful mount itself, and the approach around the bay is so full of admiration and anticipation. It really is such a privilege to live in Cornwall!

Baking:

I had prepared an epic picnic, which we were all glad of by the time that we got close to the mount. I included a Saffron & Seed Cake (which I thought was a nice twist on Cornish saffron buns), and I'm delighted that I can share the recipe from Asda here

More Cornwall:

But living in this stunning part of the world we are spoilt for beautiful views and exciting skies, so here are another couple of snaps from earlier in the week when a dramatic hailstorm swept in and then out again early one morning. 


The Gribbin, St Austell Bay, Cornwall
Hail Storm Over The Gribbin

Charlestown Cornwall
Quayside Architecture

Crochet:

And finally, you may remember my crochet bedspread, the one which took me a whole year in between other projects to finish (it is 4-ply after all!)... well, I thought I'd share a snap of it in its new Cornish home. You can see its humble beginnings right back in this old post: here


crochet bedspread Cornish bedroom
My Happy Place! 

3 comments:

  1. love this blog post and the photography. I visited St Michael's Mount 20 odd years ago with my father-in-law Michael who died not long after. Brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a special anecdote, thank you for sharing. Thanks for your compliments too. We love going down to the Mount, glad you have good memories there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting seems like fun. But when i tried it, it was quite hard.
    compare airport parking
    meet and greet Luton

    ReplyDelete